Mold, Rodent Droppings, Extreme Temperatures: Connecticut’s Schools Are Falling Apart and Making Students and Teachers Sick
Students are vomiting and complaining of headaches and feeling like they are going to pass out.
It’s too hot, it’s like teaching in a pizza oven, and our students are overheating.
Every morning, I find rodent feces in my pre-k classroom where students work and play.
There are high levels of mold in my classroom and in the building, making students and teachers sick.
Sometimes in the winter, it’s warmer outside.
These are just a few of the comments reported by teachers from across the state who responded to a new CEA survey on environmental issues in their schools. The shocking findings highlight the need to address environmental problems in Connecticut’s school buildings that jeopardize the health and safety of students and teachers.
“From Stamford to Manchester and towns in between, teachers have been reporting illnesses related to environmental problems within their schools,” says CEA President Jeff Leake. “There’s black mold, rodent droppings, extreme heat and cold temperatures, dust, asbestos, and other issues that are putting our students and teachers at risk every day.” Read more