11 Resources for Teaching Flag Day
History of the Stars & Stripes
- Flag Day Celebrated
A brief description of Flag Day for students in grades K-5 with images and audio files.
- Today in History: June 14th: Flag Day
Text, images, songs, and links to additional resources for grades 6-12.
- Our Flag ( PDF, 11.4 MB, 56 pgs.)
A background resource with history and images of the flags of the United States and other historical flags, proportions and anatomy of the flag, flag laws and regulations, flag etiquette, images of state and territory flags, brief history of Flag Day, and more.
- Flag Timeline
An illustrated timeline of flags for 1775 to a proposed flag with 51 stars.
Lessons, Activities & Crafts
- Flag Day Thematic Unit – Flag Day Unit of Study
Includes flag and other national symbol crafts, coloring pages, poetry, worksheets, word jumbles, and word search puzzles. Also recommends books.
- The Star-Spangled Banner Tells how the 1814 battle at Fort McHenry inspired Francis Scott Key to write what became our national anthem. Includes history of the War of 1812, the making of the flag, the song, and symbols of the new nation. Interactives include a quiz and an exploration of details of the original Fort McHenry flag.
- The Truth About Betsy Ross Includes step-by-step instructions for creating a five-pointed star in a single snip.
War Of 1812 lesson plans and interactives on the War of 1812. (K-12) Includes information on Francis Scott Key and the Star-Spangled Banner.
The History Of Flag Day takes a closer look at the American flag and its meaning. (6-12) Includes a video: “The History of the U.S. Flag”. (13:29)
Flag Day: Exploring the History and Meaning of a National Symbol Four activities for students to discover the history and symbolism of the flag as they learn how it changed over time.
The Meaning of Flag Day An ebook that explores the history of the American flag. It includes excerpts from American writers and statesmen, timeline, and lesson plan.