Preventing Suicide: Information and Resources
Suicide is the third leading cause of death for 10- to 24-year-olds, and a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) survey found that 16 percent of students in grades 9–12 reported seriously considering suicide.
What can you do to help?
- NEA members should familiarize themselves with suicide prevention resources and information available to school personnel
- Determine whether your state or school district provides training opportunities for school personnel to identify students in need and respond appropriately
- Use available resources to advocate for state, district and/or school board policies that support suicide prevention training programs for school personnel
- Learn more on the NEA Healthy Futures Advocacy Resources for Suicide Prevention web page
- Learn the warning signs for suicide (click here)