Review this Checklist Before You Head Back to School
There’s a lot to do every year as you prepare to head back to school—from setting up your classroom to preparing lessons and attending meetings your to-do list may already be long. There are a few more items that are important to add to the list though, as they’ll save you time and headache if you address them now.
- Make sure you have a copy of your contract and that you’ve read it.
- Check your certification. Make sure your certification is up to date and that you have complied with all certification requirements.
- Be sure you have all degrees and college credits on file with your school district and that all are reflected on your contract and pay schedule. Do the math to ensure your first paycheck adds up to what you believe you should be receiving based on your education and experience.
- Remove any and all students and their parents from your Facebook friends list (hopefully you don’t have any as friends). Go through any personal electronic device that you may take to school (including phones, laptops, iPads) and delete any personal or confidential information that you would not want disclosed to the district or a third party. If you have the electronic device at the school, there is a good chance the district can access what is on it.
Read your district’s employee handbook, social media policy, and the student handbook as well. Familiarize yourself with the basics of what is required of you and what you can require from students.
- Read your district’s teacher evaluation plan so you understand your rights, the timeline, and all requirements.
If you have any questions about any of the above, contact your local Association president or UniServ Representative.