CEA Supporting Teachers and Students Impacted by Newtown Tragedy
An NEA crisis team from Ohio spent the weekend working with AFT Connecticut and CEA to prepare teachers and students for their return to the classroom.
How to support Newtown
• The United Way of Western Connecticut, in partnership with Newtown Savings Bank, has created the Sandy Hook School Support Fund that will provide support services to the families and community that have been affected. You can donate online or mail check donations to:
Sandy Hook School Support Fund
c/o Newtown Savings Bank
39 Main Street, Newtown CT 06470
• This Wednesday at 6 p.m., a Memorial Mass, “In Celebration and Appreciation of Teachers,” will be
held at the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception in Waterbury.
• A list of vigils taking place around the state can be found here.
Resources for addressing school violence and trauma
Please feel free to share these resources with others in your community.
- NEA School Crisis Guide
This step-by-step resource created by educators for educators can make it easier for union leaders, school district administrators, and principals to keep schools safe — before, during, and after a crisis.
- A National Tragedy: Helping Children Cope, from the National Association of School Psychologists
What adults, and specifically parents and schools, can do to help children cope with a national tragedy.
- Talking to Children About Violence, from the National Association of School Psychologists
Information for parents and educators on how to talk to children about violence.
- Listen, Protect and Connect: Psychological First Aid for Teachers and Schools
This resource from the federal government explains how to help students in times of school crises and tragedies.
- Resources for Helping Children and Adults Copes With the Newtown Tragedy, from the Connecticut Commission on Children
The resource center provides expert advice and information that can help children, parents, and educators. The page will likely be updated over the coming days and weeks.
- What to Consider When Planning Memorial Activities at School, from the National Association of School Psychologists
Do’s and Don’ts for planning memorial activities at schools. How a school approaches a memorial can make a difference in the healing nature of the process.